Wednesday, September 11, 2013

All American Hero 10K recap

All American Hero 10K
August 31, 2013
San Diego, CA

Packet pick-up was the day of. We arrived at 6:30 and found parking right away.
Bib and t-shirt pick-up took a total of 15 minutes. After using the port a potties, and meeting up with our friends who decided this race was a good idea, we bummed around the start line until the race started at 7:45.

Myself,  Jessica, Lesley and Doug: ready to sweat!

I was really nervous for this race because it was so hot, and I really didn't want to do it.

Because this was such a small race, there were no corrals to start. Everyone just started at once.
About a 1/2 mile in, both Jessica and I needed to use the bathroom (all that pre-race hydration).
I begged to just quit now. Thank goodness Jessica pushed me to keep at it.



We ran a slow race, but the views were beautiful. I noticed many people taking it slow, due to the heat I assume.

Major props to this guy running in full suit!


The out and back course was grueling, but thank goodness for the water stations at every mile. I dumped 2 cups on my head at each one.

Knowing the Nugget and hubs were at the finish line helped me complete the last couple miles.



When I saw the hubs and Nugget I was so happy! I grabbed my little darling and crossed the finish line with a vow to never race in this heat again.



All in all, the course was beautiful, the volunteers great, post race snacks were superb. The t-shirt we received is wearable and it was fun to sport the medal I clearly earned for surviving!


Afterwards we celebrated at the Broken Yolk with delicious mimosas and breakfast.




Jessica and I then followed that up with just one more celebratory drink, since the race was that draining! {always remember: re-hydration is key!}


Even though the race was tough, I am happy to have helped motivate a friend. 
Even though I didn't get to run the actual race with her (she was TOO FAST!), she was able to find some passion for running. 
Even though I won't run a race in late August heat again, I WILL run.
Even though I complained and suffered, I finished!

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger... RiGhT?


What's the worst race (or run) you ever ran?


No comments:

Post a Comment