Thursday, August 29, 2013

Quinoa and Stuffed Pepper recipe


Truth be told, I hadn't tried quinoa until a couple months ago.
I knew it was good for you and all,

(Facts about quinoa here and here )



but I didn't know how to cook it or use it.

I finally decided to bite the seed bullet and try!

Of course I had to do research first to know what to do.
It was this website that educated me.

Parts of the process followed by quinoa cakes.


I have found quinoa incredibly versatile and has become a staple in our household.
It is delicious on salads, AS a salad, in pancakes, AS a pancake... and so much more!

When I cook quinoa I'll prepare one cup at a time.
1/2 gets cooked in a broth (chicken or turkey), half water. 
(In separate pots <--- obviously)
The broth adds flavor to the quinoa to throw on salads.
The plain one is good to throw in smoothies, applesauce (for the Nugget), or for pancakes.


The other night, I made up a delicious quinoa stuffed pepper I thought you might like.



Recipe as follows

Quinoa {half} stuffed pepper

Ingredients:

1 red pepper
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
1/4 cup chopped kale
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese (Shaved or Grated)

Process:

Cut red pepper in half, remove seeds. 
Boil pepper in water for 10 minutes to soften.
Meanwhile, mix quinoa with kale, zucchini, salt and pepper.
Remove peppers from pot and place on baking sheet.
Top peppers with quinoa mixture.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove, top with cheese, broil for 5 minutes (or until bubbly).
Enjoy!!


This worked well for a light dinner, but would be great to fully stuff a pepper and bake.




What are some fun ways you enjoy quinoa?



No comments:

Post a Comment