Thursday, March 14, 2013

Easy Buttermilk Cinnamon Rolls




So there I was a few days ago, 
searching the internet for recipes using buttermilk.

You see, 
when the hubs craves a 'biscuit and gravy' breakfast, 
he makes deliciously home made buttermilk biscuits.

I then follow the buttermilk suit a few days later with pancakes.

After consuming all these delectably sinful treats, 
we still had buttermilk remaining. And of course, I am not one to waist.

So back to the internet and my search for buttermilk.
I found many options, but decided on cinnamon rolls! 
It was something I'd never ventured to make before.



The recipe I found is here, however I adapted it a bit to TRY and make them healthier, 
so I'll share my recipe with you.


Ingredients:

4.5 tsp active dry yeast (2 packets)
1/4 cup warm water
1.5 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup oil  (coconut oil is my favorite)
3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup 9 grain cereal
(You can use 4 cups all whole wheat or whatever flour you prefer.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Process:
1. In your mixing bowl, measure they yeast then add the water. 
Let sit approx. 10 minutes till foamy.
2. Heat buttermilk until it is warm to the touch. Slowly add to foamy yeast.
3. Mix in the oil.
4. Add salt and baking soda, mix in.
5. Add the flour, a half cup at a time until all the flour is added and the dough forms a ball when mixing.
6.  If using a KitchenAid Mixer, change from the paddle to your dough hook and set at 2. Allow to run 6-8 minutes. (If no dough hook, knead by hand approx. 20 times. 
7. Cover kneaded dough and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
During this time, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
8. After the dough has rested roll out onto a floured surface into a rectangle. Spread the sugar mixture to cover the rectangle. 
9. Roll the dough into a log,pinching the seam closed. Slice 1 inch pieces off the log and place into a greased baking pan.
10. At this point you can choose to let rise for 30 minutes and bake, or refrigerate over night and bake in the morning. I choose the latter. Either way be sure to cover so the dough doesn't dry out.
11. preheat oven to 400 degrees, bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before devouring!





Even though the steps may look daunting, I promise these are really easy to make!

Do you have any buttermilk recipes worth sharing?

No comments:

Post a Comment