Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Carrot Zucchini Muffins (Shredded Veg-ins)

It's not often that I wake up and know exactly what I want for breakfast.
It usually involves a little thing known as carbs..

Today, I knew what to make.
I had been dreaming, drooling, and thinking of making these bad boys for awhile now, and I finally had the time.
And by time, I mean,  two hands and about 15 minutes prep.


What is all this talk leading up to?


Shredded Veg-ins! [veggie muffins]
 [aka carrot zucchini muffins] <--- but that's a mouthful! no pun intended..



It's no secret that I love muffins for lunch for dinner all the time for breakfast.
Adding veggies fools my mind to thinking, hmmmm healthy!



[Warning if you decide to make Shredded Veg-insMuffins may disappear rapidly.]



I adapted this recipe from here.

What you need:
3 carrot sticks, peeled and shredded (I used a cheese grater. Food processor is acceptable)
2 small zucchini or 1 regular size zucchini, shredded (see above parenthesis)
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 3/8 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 cup canola oil (or any such)
1/2 tsp VE (vanilla extract)
1/4 cup applesauce

Do this:
Combine both flours, baking soda and powder in a bowl.

In a large bowl, combine egg, sugar, oil, VE, and applesauce. Mix.

Add flour slowly to the egg mixture. This batter will be THICK.

Once flour mixture and egg mixture have become one, stir in the zucchini and carrots.

Fill each muffin cup approx. 3/4 full.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (or until toothpick or fork comes out clean)




ENJOY!!

{I actually just remembered this right now:
     I was going to add oats to these muffins, DOH!
      I guess I'll try that next time! If I had - I would've replaced the 1/2 cup AP flour with oats...}

Nugget sure enjoyed!







1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pics of nugget and muffin!!!

    Congrats on your awesome run!

    ReplyDelete